Somatic Experiencing in Hong Kong and China   Portal
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Preferences  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Calendar 
View next topic
View previous topic

Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 am  Post subject:  Visit to Mianyang Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

I am just back (Aug 4) from accompanying the Cherp team to Mianyang for the SE training.

It was an uplifting experience.

Firstly to meet the people effected by the earthquake experience, some who still had the affects the earthquake trapped in their body.

And then to see how the SE trainers led the trainees to gradually release this energy, so people in some cases could start to stand and walk again.

It really is great work and as a psychotherapist myself, I could see the how the SE method can free people from some of the potentially lifelong effects of trauma.

This is very valuable work, and I hope that the program receives the funding for the futures stages, to support the traineees carry on this work into the future.

By the way, the little girl in the pictures below needed to be carried into her session with the SE therapist, and an hour later, she skipped out of the room unaided.

All the best....David Mathes

Last edited by David Mathes on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
   OfflinePersonal Gallery of David MathesView user's profileSend private message
David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Click on the link below to find picture from Mianyang:

the CHERP Team

Last edited by David Mathes on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

tents

Last edited by David Mathes on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:25 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

School

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

boy

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

girls

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Kids

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Daniel is teaching

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:30 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

putting into practice

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:32 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Ale is teaching

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

standing again

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:35 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

support

David Mathes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:35 am  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

the three of us

Lisa LaDue

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:21 am  Post subject:  Home from Mianyang Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Thank you, David, for posting these wonderful photos! It was good that you were able to join us for the second week of CHERP training and I am glad that you found SE to be so valuable.

I arrived back home in the beautiful Colorado mountains early yesterday morning and am still trying to assimilate all of my thoughts, feelings, perceptions and sensations from the incredible experience of providing training and interventions for the Sichuan earthquake survivors.

Despite all of the challenges of disaster-related work, I always feel very blessed to have the opportunity to join with others on such a meaningful level. The faces, laughter and screams of the children in WuDu will remain with me forever, as will the images and shared experiences of our entire team. I have found that in doing disaster response work, the unexpected is to be expected and to feel overwhelmed and exhausted is the norm. And yet, the reward is great if we simply remain focused on our common objective of providing healing from trauma, knowing that our temporary pain and discomfort is tiny compared to the traumatic pain and grief suffered by the survivors. Seeing children smile and walk again, hearing them laugh and learning that a grandmother now sees "clear and bright" instead of experiencing "all darkness" makes my temporary periods of frustration, doubt, fatigue (and ankle pain) all of little importance. All the difficulties were worth it when I was told by one of the hospital administrators that our team is the only one that has ever taught the psychologists and other hospital staff skills that they could really use.

I want to thank all of the team - Paul, Rob, Daniel, Ale, Donna, Ninetta, Lucy, Veronica, Cam and other translators, and all who provided support for CHERP Phase 2 in any way. I sincerely appreciate all of the hard, seemingly endless work that so many wonderful people provided to ensure the success of this first training phase. Let us now work to ensure equal success for Phase 3 and throughout the year until 5.12.2009.

With deep gratitude,
Lisa

Gender:Female  OfflinePersonal Gallery of Lisa LaDueView user's profileSend private message
Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

View next topic
View previous topic